I know what you’re thinking… you’re thinking this can’t possibly be an interesting blog topic because most of the questions kids ask are pretty benign. Except, we are talking about my 11 year old son who has an imagination that blows my mind. Most of the time, when he asks a question, he is expecting an answer, but nine times out of ten the only answer I have is “I don’t know” or I just laugh because the questions are just that strange.
The game I started playing was to come up with an answer that is as strange as his question, and sometimes I’ve even managed to shock him. Most of the time, though, it leads to another question or we walk down that path of alternate worlds and what would happen if…
What I can tell you is that whenever Andru is around, life is more interesting.
And so, here is a list of eleven questions my son has asked me recently. If I had an answer to the question, I have included it in red.
- Mom, what if someone ate your foot? I’d cry pitifully
- Mom, what would you do if you were mind controlled and someone made you eat someone else’s foot? Enjoy the hell out of it (This one managed to shock him and he told me it was weird, but I responded that it was no more weird than his question)
- What would you do if there was a psycho killer hunting you down?
- What would you do if you had the ability to blow up worlds? Sit in a corner, wringing my hands and laughing maniacally
- What would you do if I turned into a zombie right here and now?
- What would you do if someone ate your phone?
- What would you do if you didn’t have any arms… just hands? Where would the hands be? Coming out of your shoulders. I’d slap myself in the face.
- What if you took a pill that made it so you were younger but you took too many and you became a baby?
- What if someone ate your nose?
- What if we used the last of the ketchup and there were no more factories to make it?
- What would you do if a little kid walked up to you and started gnawing on your elbow?
I hope you enjoyed this small foray into my son’s imagination as much as I enjoy it every single day.