It was almost two years ago when I was working a job I hated that included almost daily tears, and I was in a pretty horrible can’t-even-call-it-a-relationship thing after ending a three-year relationship with someone I really thought was “the one”. I felt stuck in so many ways. I felt manic, like my world was falling apart and I remember thinking to myself, something has to change. Amazingly, wonderfully, my life completely changed within a period of about six months. I ended the disastrous “relationship” and embarked on a new partnership with the wonderful man I’m sharing my life with now. I quit my dreaded job not really knowing what I was going to do or where I was going to end up. I spent two months without a job which was scary as hell for me, but I found something I am much happier with. It took another year for my life to settle into itself and that’s when I really decided to start writing again, with the love and support of those closest to me.
It is almost unbelievable to me how quickly life can change. One minute you are sure that things are hopeless and you feel helpless to change anything, and the next minute you are flying. It takes effort. It doesn’t always just happen. It took some major steps on my part to change what was happening in my life, but I did and I am happier today than I’ve been in a long time.
When I decided to start this blog, I really had no earthly clue what I was doing or how it was going to help me. I’m not one of those people who stands on a mountain proclaiming my own worth, so the idea of blogging was difficult. Here I was, about to throw my writing to the world to let it be judged and scrutinized and who knew what else! But I have to say, I am humbled and amazed at the community I have found here. I couldn’t have asked for more and I am so thankful I pressed “Publish” that first time and started down this path.
I am so grateful to Emily Louise Heard over at My Creative Journey for nominating me for the Liebster Award. It means the world to me. Thank you! Thank you!
Firstly, if you have been nominated for the ‘Liebster Award’ and accept it, you are required to follow a few rules.
- Write a post about the Liebster Award.
- Thank the person who nominated you.
- Post a link to the person’s blog who nominated you on your blog.
- Answer all the 11 questions provided by the person who nominated you.
- Nominate 11 deserving blogs, who have a follower count of less than 1000. (You can also nominate who has already received this award.)
- Create a new list of 11 questions for your nominees to answer.
- List out all the rules in your blog post.
- Do not forget to inform the nominees. You can do this by commenting on their blog post. Most importantly, give a link for them to your post.
The questions Emily asked:
1. What inspires you?
This was a tough one to answer because there are so many things that inspire me. But lately, I’ve been completely inspired by my sister (I know she’s a who and not a what, but I couldn’t help myself). I hope she doesn’t mind me sharing this… A few months ago, she was told she had a blood clot in her brain. She was in the hospital for a few days and is luckily okay, but the recovery has been a slow uphill progression. I’m inspired every day watching her positivity in the face of a debilitating illness. She moves a little more each day and is more often than not the one who tells me everything is going to be okay rather than the reverse. It could have stopped her. It could have done so many things, but she’s integrating it and learning to live with it in a positive and healthy way. Some days are harder than others, but she constantly inspires me with her bravery and hope.
2. What is your biggest pet hate?
I wasn’t sure exactly what this question was asking. If it’s what pet do I hate the most, it would be a cat. There’s a story there, because I don’t dislike things without cause, but this post is about other things. If it’s the thing I hate the most, well, I’m not sure I necessarily hate anything, but the thing that bothers me the most is probably arrogance, or an over-inflated ego. I think we all have so much to learn and the thought of acting like I’m better than someone else for whatever reason is just ludicrous to me.
3. If you could pick one day of your life and relive it, what day would that be?
I’m a firm believer that the past is in the past. I honestly don’t think there is a day I would relive. There is so much living to do here and now.
4. If you could pick a talent for yourself, what would it be and why?
I’ve always wanted to paint or draw pictures. There is some beautiful artwork out there and it always bothered me that I couldn’t draw something and have it turn out looking like the reference.
5. What motivates you?
I’m motivated by doing my best. Sometimes your best isn’t enough, but it’s something and as long as you keep trying, you will eventually find what you are looking for – whether that means letting it go or finally doing it. I love that feeling when you look at a completed project and think, Wow! I did that!
6. What do you enjoy reading about the most on WordPress?
I love reading the responses to flash fiction challenges. I’ve read some pretty amazing things since I started blogging and most have been short works of fiction.
7. If you had a superpower, what would it be and why?
I would love to fly because who wouldn’t? I mean, seriously! 🙂
8. If could live a day in the life of another person for one day, who would that person be?
This is a tough one and I’m not sure I have an answer. Okay, after deleting several different ideas, I’m going to say Eckhart Tolle. I can’t even imagine the peace that guy has. The thing that strikes me whenever I see him in interviews is when he laughs it is a real laugh and he always seems to be laughing at something he knows we all don’t really get!
9. What is your aspiration in life?
I believe life is a constant journey and even when we accomplish something, there is always more learning and growing to do. I hope I never stop learning and growing. I want to love with all my heart and do as little harm as possible. I love writing and would love to be published, but if that never happens, I hope I can enjoy the journey along the way. 🙂
10. If you could pick a colour to match your personality, what colour would that be and why?
My favorite color is purple, so that’s what I will choose. The reasons: It’s not your everyday color. It’s bright without being ostentatious, but it’s also brooding and dark. It has soulful depth.
11. If you could jump on a plane tomorrow to anywhere in the world, where would you go?
I have always wanted to visit Scotland. Really, that whole area, including Ireland. (I guess that’s technically more than one place, but I think you can do it all in one trip…?) The pictures I’ve seen are so breathtakingly beautiful and there is so much character and history.
This is turning into a long post! 🙂 Okay, on to my nominees:
- Naomi at http://traineeauthor.wordpress.com/
- Willow at http://willowdot21.wordpress.com/
- Shanjeniah at http://shanjeniah.com/
- Mark at http://thewoegman.wordpress.com/daily-blog/
- Pavowski at http://pavorisms.wordpress.com/
- Queenofallevil at http://thebiggirlsguide.net/
- Kate at http://kateloveton.wordpress.com/
- Sadie at http://justsomethingiwasthinkingabout.com/
- Martha at http://boringbroadruns.wordpress.com/
- Louise at http://fabricatingfiction.wordpress.com/
- C.E. Coburn at http://februaryst.wordpress.com/
The 11 questions to my nominees:
- Who or what inspires you?
- If you could go back in time, which time-period would you live in and why?
- What is your favorite animal?
- Who is your favorite author (besides yourself, lol) and why?
- Which superhero best describes you and why?
- If you had a genie, what would one of your wishes be?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, other than where you currently live, where would it be and why?
- What is your favorite game to play? (Board game, card game, video game… whatever is your favorite, or you can list one from all types!)
- What is your favorite season of the year and why?
- Apple or Samsung? I was thinking of phones since I just switched from Samsung to Apple this year, but you can answer it however you would like. It was a pretty big debate in our house for a bit. 🙂
- What brings you the most peace?
I enjoy the WordPress community and look forward to reading many more amazing posts and participating with all of you.
I hope you all have a fabulous week in whatever you are doing.